Re: terminalserver and added packages

Hi Michael,

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 05:10:38PM +0200, Michael Creel wrote:
> The terminalserver script exports /cdrom to the computers booted over the
> network.

That's the idea, yes, so the data that's actually transferred over NFS
is still compressed, and gets uncompressed on demand on the clients.
This saves a lot of bandwidth, and makes use of of the CD block cache on
the server for faster access.

> Thus, they get the filesystem that's on the CD, without any new
> packages that may have been added, thanks to unionfs. I'm wondering if it
> would be possible to export /UNIONFS as well as /cdrom.
> Then the netbooted
> computers would have access to whatever packages were added using
> apt-get/dkpg, without the need to remaster a CD. Any comments/suggestions?

I haven't thought about that possibility yet, though I think this could
be done by using the knoppix.sh feature for mounting file systems
automatically.

Problem: unionfs gets REALLY unstable over NFS. So, we would need a
different solution. Maybe another branch exported as compressed image,
and unionfs-mounted on the client.