Re: Add instructions to terminal server?

Isidore Ducasse wrote:

2006/2/28, Michael Creel <Michael.Creel@uab.es>:
Isidore Ducasse wrote:

2006/2/28, Michael Creel <michael.creel@uab.es
<mailto:michael.creel@uab.es>>:

   I'm trying to make parallelknoppix
   (http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/ParallelKnoppix
   <http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/ParallelKnoppix>) work using an
   unmodified
   knoppix 4.0.2 CD, along with a persistant image file. Everything
   works,
   except I need the slave nodes that are PXE booted using the terminal
   server to mount the home directory that is NFS exported from the
   master
   node. That is, the slave nodes need to execute the instruction "mount
   192.168.0.1:/home /home". If I include this line in a knoppix.sh
   file in
   /cdrom/KNOPPIX on a remastered CD, it works. But I would like to
   make it
   work directly from an unmodified Knoppix CD. Any ideas?
   Thanks, Michael

you could use saveconfig to save your script in /home/knoppix, and put
the saved config on a USB key or so.

Thanks, but that's what I'm trying to get around. I can do this if I use
a remaster, but I'm trying to save the remastering step. If I can
include the command in the instructions that the terminal server causes
the slaves to execute during boot, then I won't need to put it on the CD.

OK I get it the problem is that /home is not mounted at the moment you
want the script to be run right?
Maybe you could

- cp /your/script /home/knoppix
- saveconfig (to somewhere local eg USB key)
- use boot cheatcodes ; not really sure wether
knoppix home=scan init=/home/knoppix/anyscript
would work (looks a bit dirty anyway) , but I'm positive that
miniroot's linuxrc will restore
/home/knoppix before init starts.

Hope it helps; maybe not at all but anyway, I think you'll have to use
saveconfig if you don't want to remaster the cd because it's the only
way I know to add stuff which is automatically restored at boottime
while not being on the cd. But maybe PXE boot offers alternatives as
you suggested; I've never used it.
Thanks, I'll have a look at the init cheatcode to see it I can use it. M.