Re: [debian-knoppix] Please Answer these....

 --- "R. Dale Thomas" <rdt@rdt1.org> wrote: >
> 	The first script that the kernel executes is called
> /linuxrc.
> This file is located in the miniroot.gz compressed
> root filesystem &
> is in the KNOPPIX/boot.img file on the cdrom.

can I decompress and able to read it??And if yes then
how?

> > 2. What is miniroot.gz(in boot.img) ? What is its
> job?
>
> 	The miniroot.gz is a compressed (by gzip)
> filesystem and is
> the root filesystem during the boot process until
> the cdrom is located.
> and is mounted.

Its difficult to understand,what you said.
I think cdrom is located at the instant, when it gives
the messg "Booting From Atapi CDROM"..
please clarify.

> > 3.How does ldlinux.sys(in boot.img) contributs to
> booting process??
>
>ldlinux.sys is boot loader used to locate/load the
> boot.img into memory.

As far as I know ldlinux.sys is located in
boot.img,then how can it locate somebody, in which
itself resides????

> > 4.If syslinux.cfg(in boot.img) is boot loader,
> then what is the purpose of  /etc/lilo.conf?
>
> 	/etc/lilo.conf is not used during the boot process
> of the cdrom.
> Linux often uses the lilo boot loader when installed
> to a hard disk.  The
> /etc/lilo.conf then becomes the configuration file
> for that process.

You still did not say that syslinux.cfg is bootloader
or not??? Or ldlinux.sys is a bootloader for
knoppix,as you said above?

> > 5.At the final stage of remastering(as specified
> in knopper site), we
> > have to specify proper path for boot.img and
> boot.cat. I want to know
> > what is the need of boot.cat????
>
> 	This gets involved in the format of the cdrom
> filesystem.  For
> remastering, there is no need to change it, just
> specify it to create
> a bootable el torito bootable cdrom.

I need more explanation....

thnks to Dale Thomas for giving such a nice
introduction to me. I learned from you, how to reply
in a precise and simple way.

Please reply me soon.

thnks.
here...