Re: [debian-knoppix] Please Answer these....

sandesh singh wrote:
Hello people,
I am a newbie to Knoppix. Actually I am a student and currently doing a project on remastering Knoppix(Thanks to Klaus Knopper for giving me such an intersting thing). I want to know following things..... 1. When Knoppix boots up, what is first script, which takes command of startup?

	The first script that the kernel executes is called /linuxrc.
This file is located in the miniroot.gz compressed root filesystem &
is in the KNOPPIX/boot.img file on the cdrom.

2. What is miniroot.gz(in boot.img) ? What is its job?

	The miniroot.gz is a compressed (by gzip) filesystem and is
the root filesystem during the boot process until the cdrom is located.
and is mounted.

3.How does ldlinux.sys(in boot.img) contributs to booting process??

	ldlinux.sys is boot loader used to locate/load the boot.img
into memory.

4.If syslinux.cfg(in boot.img) is boot loader, then what is the purpose of
/etc/lilo.conf?

	/etc/lilo.conf is not used during the boot process of the cdrom.
Linux often uses the lilo boot loader when installed to a hard disk.  The
/etc/lilo.conf then becomes the configuration file for that process.

5.At the final stage of remastering(as specified in knopper site), we have to specify proper path for boot.img and boot.cat. I want to know what is the need of boot.cat????

	This gets involved in the format of the cdrom filesystem.  For
remastering, there is no need to change it, just specify it to create
a bootable el torito bootable cdrom.

Please reply me , so that I can begin my project. thnks...
here...
sandesh