Re: [debian-knoppix] Please Answer these....

	Sorry for top posting here, but in this case it might
be better just to start from scratch.
	The el torrito bootable cdrom format using the syslinux
boot loading process uses floppy emulation to boot.  The emulation
process uses the boot.img as the filesystem image of a floppy disk.
This info is given to the mkisofs program during the building of
the iso image for burning to the cdrom.  During the boot process,
the boot.img is used as if it were from a floppy drive.  Located
on that image is the ldlinux.sys driver which gets executed.  The
syslinux.cfg is a text file that is configuration for ldlinux.sys.
It specifies files to display with various key-presses, and kernel
files to load with their parameters such as ramdisk images.  At
this point in the booting, a user will have screen with different
boot choices from which to pick.
	With the Knoppix cd, when the user picks one of those
choices, either by waiting for the timeout period to expire or by
typing in a selection such as 'knoppix lang=us', the kernel image
and initrd image as specified by that entry in the syslinux.cfg
configuration file, will be loaded into memory and the kernel is
executed.  The kernel will use the initrd as the initial root file-
system.  This root fs will be the miniroot.gz file on the boot.img
file with Knoppix.
	How to look at that miniroot?  If you copy the boot.img
file from the cd to a Linux system, and as root, execute the
commands:
	mkdir working working/fs
	cd working
	mount -ro loop boot.img /mnt/floppy
	cp -rp /mnt/floppy/* fs
	umount /mnt/floppy
	cp fs/miniroot.gz .
	gunzip miniroot.gz
	mkdir mr
	mount -ro loop miniroot /mnt/floppy
	cp -rp /mnt/floppy/* mr
	umount /mnt/floppy
At this point you have a 'working' with two subdirectories, fs & mr.
fs contains the contents of the boot.img and mr contains the contents
of the miniroot filesystem.  mr/linuxrc is a script that the kernel
will execute as the first process.

sandesh singh wrote:
 --- "R. Dale Thomas" <rdt@rdt1.org> wrote: >

	The first script that the kernel executes is called
/linuxrc.
This file is located in the miniroot.gz compressed
root filesystem &
is in the KNOPPIX/boot.img file on the cdrom.

can I decompress and able to read it??And if yes then
how?
2. What is miniroot.gz(in boot.img) ? What is its

job?

	The miniroot.gz is a compressed (by gzip)
filesystem and is
the root filesystem during the boot process until
the cdrom is located.
and is mounted.

Its difficult to understand,what you said.
I think cdrom is located at the instant, when it gives
the messg "Booting From Atapi CDROM"..
please clarify.
3.How does ldlinux.sys(in boot.img) contributs to

booting process??

ldlinux.sys is boot loader used to locate/load the
boot.img into memory.

As far as I know ldlinux.sys is located in
boot.img,then how can it locate somebody, in which
itself resides????

4.If syslinux.cfg(in boot.img) is boot loader,

then what is the purpose of  /etc/lilo.conf?

	/etc/lilo.conf is not used during the boot process
of the cdrom.
Linux often uses the lilo boot loader when installed
to a hard disk.  The
/etc/lilo.conf then becomes the configuration file
for that process.

You still did not say that syslinux.cfg is bootloader
or not??? Or ldlinux.sys is a bootloader for
knoppix,as you said above?
5.At the final stage of remastering(as specified

in knopper site), we
have to specify proper path for boot.img and

boot.cat. I want to know
what is the need of boot.cat????

	This gets involved in the format of the cdrom
filesystem.  For
remastering, there is no need to change it, just
specify it to create
a bootable el torito bootable cdrom.

I need more explanation....

thnks to Dale Thomas for giving such a nice
introduction to me. I learned from you, how to reply in a precise and simple way. Please reply me soon.

thnks.
here...
sandesh