Re: [debian-knoppix] Installing Koppix, and then migrating to mainstream Debian?

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 02:53:46PM +0100, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 08:30:13AM -0500, stan wrote:

> > > Knoppix is mostly testing with a few packages from unstable, too.
> > > The most current testing and some of the stable "unstable" Packages if
> > > required by applications.
> > >
> > > I don't know what you mean with "clean". If you are searching for an
> > > "EASY" or "AUTOMATIC"  way to decide which packages or branches are
> > > "best", I can give no recommendation. I have to check individually for
> > > each package.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Let me expalin a bit where I want to go.
> >
> > I eould like to be able to do apt-get update, followed by apt-get
> > dist-upgrade, and stay in synch with the lates version of the pacjages I
> > have on my system. That's what I'm doing on the others now. What I want to
> > get out of the Knoppix install is the benefit of all the nice auto
> > derection  of hardware, and auto configuration of things like sound and X
> > that it has.
> >
> > Does that make more sense?
>
> Then you should do the following:
>
> 1.) Install one master system with the Debian branch of your choice.
> 2.) Make a tar image from this version.
> 3.) Put the tar image on a CD together with a stripped-down Knoppix
>     version that only does the hardware detection and untars the image
> 	to a harddisk partition, and copies the generated config files
> 	over the ones on the harddisk afterwards.
>
> For Knoppix, I'm trying to find the best path between stability and
> actuality of the software included. That means that I just have to use
> some packages from unstable or ftp.kde.org every now and then, instead
> of obsolete ones in the official distribution. The deb entries in
> /apt/sources.list show you which mirrors have been used to build this
> version. Sometimes you just have to resolve package conflicts manually
> in order to keep the system stable and up-to-date.

Thanks for the fast reply.

If I could pursue this a bit further?

What you are saying makes perfect seems. What I'm missing (because of lack
of knowledge, I'm certain), is why installing Knoppix using knpx-hdinstall,
which results in getting the correct apt.sources (the one you are referring
to here), right? does not result in a situation where I can use standard
Debian tools (specifically apt-get) to update the packages that wind up being
installed after this process.

Here's what makes me say that. I installed Knoppix using knp-hdinsatll a
few  days ago on a new laptop. I was incredibly impressed, everything
"just worked". Then I ran apt-get update, which seemed to go fine, but an
apt-get dist-upgrade wanted to remove 300+ packages! So I told it not to do
this. Next I tried to used select to install Galeon, and _it_ removed the
300+ packages. I never changed anything in /etc/apt from the distributed
version. One of the things that I like about Debian is the ability to use
dselect to add useful packages, but it appears as though, if I install
Knoppix, I won;t gave this ability.

Surely I'm misunderstanding something?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin