Re: Removing GNOMEas boot option (was: Re: [debian-knoppix] Gnome 2.2 is realised)

Hallo Leute,

Und weiter auf English, weil dass einfacher ist ;-)
At Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 02:37:38PM +0100, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> > To be exact: the first time you start gnome-session it hogs 199M of memory.
> Well, can we just agree on the fact that neither GNOME version is reliably
> working in Debian right now, and I just remove Gnome support for the next
> release, until better days?

I guess your Gnome setup has always been second to the KDE setup. So yes, at
the moment it doesn't work and you might remove it. However, it might be
quite easy to build a working configuration, I'll look into it ASAP. It's
probably just copying the right cache- or config-file in /etc/skel and Gnome
will work. I might have this figured out by monday.

[...]
> As for my setup:
> Gnome 1.4 cannot be installed anymore because of conflicting dependencies
> in some newer packages (gnumeric, gnomemeeting).

The problem here seems various newer versions in sid, having the same name.
Installing for example Nautilus is pretty much impossible with stable and
testing in the sources.list. Once you remove these, all problems gone. Only
the memory hogging gnome session is a problem now - but that's only the
first time it starts. (Unfortunately, every bootup is 1st time in
Knoppix...)

Once I fix this I'll tell you so. I might even get you a working Knoppix
background in Gnome, how about that? ;-)

Oh, btw: I think there's a spurious /usr/local/lib/knoppix.gif, as the KDE
background seems to come from /cdrom/KNOPPIX/background.gif. Not sure, but
almost.

V.
--
http://www.openoffice.nl/   Open Office - Linux Office Solutions