Re: [debian-knoppix] Installing Koppix, and then migrating to mainstream Debian?

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 05:04:05PM +0100, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 08:31:45AM -0500, stan wrote:
> > I'm getting a new laptop at work. I've booted the exact same hardware with
> > the Knoppix ISO image, and everything "just works", well except for the
> > Winmodem, but I got that working under FreeBSD, so it should be possible
> > under Linux.
> >
> > In any case, what I would like to do, is take advantage of Knoppix's
> > superior auto detection/configuration of hardware. So the broad general
> > plan is:
> >
> > 1. Boot Knoppix CD
> > 2. run knx-hdinstall
> > 3. edit /etc/apt/sources.list as appropriate
> > 4. apt-get update
> > 5. apt-get dist-upgrade.
> >
> > I tried this (without editing sources.list, and wound up with a badly
> > broken installation. X did not even star :-(
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> You should decide from which branch you want to update. If you want to stay
> in "stable", you have to remove all unstable/testing packages before
> updating.
>
> Otherwise, try
>
> apt-get -t unstable upgrade
>
> or only update packages manually.
>
> /etc/apt/apt.conf is set up to update from "testing" only, which will
> only work if there are no unresolved dependencies. Especially gnome2
> and KDE3.1 is very troublesome to upgrade, and never worked for me
> without manual interaction either.

I geuss that's part of the question. What branch is Knoppix derived from?

I'm presently runnning severa; machines that are mostly testing, with a few
unstable packages. Can I get to that point from a Knoppix install, cleanly?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin