Re: [debian-knoppix] Installing Koppix, and then migrating to mainstream Debian?

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 09:28:12AM -0500, stan wrote:
> Thanks for the fast reply.
>
> If I could pursue this a bit further?
>
> What you are saying makes perfect seems. What I'm missing (because of lack
> of knowledge, I'm certain), is why installing Knoppix using knpx-hdinstall,
> which results in getting the correct apt.sources (the one you are referring
> to here), right? does not result in a situation where I can use standard
> Debian tools (specifically apt-get) to update the packages that wind up being
> installed after this process.
>
> Here's what makes me say that. I installed Knoppix using knp-hdinsatll a
> few  days ago on a new laptop. I was incredibly impressed, everything
> "just worked". Then I ran apt-get update, which seemed to go fine, but an
> apt-get dist-upgrade wanted to remove 300+ packages! So I told it not to do
> this. Next I tried to used select to install Galeon, and _it_ removed the
> 300+ packages.

apt-get dist-upgrade tries to install all "recommended" packages as
well, which could very well mean, that older versions (especially
libraries) have to be removed. Removing libraries results in the removal
of packages which need them. This would cover KDE and most parts of
gnome.

Please try to use "apt-get upgrade" instead, or, use apt-get install on
the meta packages to see what libraries you need to upgrade first in
order to keep dependencies with other packages intact.

Example: Updating KDE-3.1 from woody to the version in unstable would
remove about 80MB of packages that do not exist in unstable yet, bit
require the "obsolete" library versions of those packages you want to
upgrade. There is no way to have both, an upgrade AND keeping the
existing packages that depend on the libs to be replaced.

> I never changed anything in /etc/apt from the distributed
> version. One of the things that I like about Debian is the ability to use
> dselect to add useful packages, but it appears as though, if I install
> Knoppix, I won;t gave this ability.

You do. You can specify for each indivisual package which
version you want to have by

apt-get install package/testing
or
apt-get install package=1.0.0-2
or (for telling apt to install all dependencies from a specific branch
as well)
apt-get install -t unstable package

Surely this is possiblein dselect as well, though I don't use it because
its key bindings give me a headache. ;-)

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org