[debian-knoppix] Installing Koppix, and then migrating to mainstream Debian?

I'm getting a new laptop at work. I've booted the exact same hardware with
the Knoppix ISO image, and everything "just works", well except for the
Winmodem, but I got that working under FreeBSD, so it should be possible
under Linux.

In any case, what I would like to do, is take advantage of Knoppix's
superior auto detection/configuration of hardware. So the broad general
plan is:

1. Boot Knoppix CD
2. run knx-hdinstall
3. edit /etc/apt/sources.list as appropriate
4. apt-get update
5. apt-get dist-upgrade.

I tried this (without editing sources.list, and wound up with a badly
broken installation. X did not even star :-(

What am I missing?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin