Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix installed on HD: still not a standard Debian!

On August 1, 2003 05:20 pm, Fabian Franz wrote:

> Am Freitag, 1. August 2003 22:24 schrieb Gilles Pelletier:
> > On August 1, 2003 12:52 pm, you wrote:
> > > Klaus _will_ NOT support intsallation of Knoppxi to HD.
> > > This is not the aim of Knoppix!!!
> >
> > I suppose you made a typo here: you mean it's not the aim of
> > Knopper. Because if you look at the forums, you'll find that
> > though, just like Achim, users think Knoppix can be very
> > helpful as a Live-CD, they're really craving to install it on
> > their HD because it works so well.
> >
> > If Knoppix was a private company looking forward to "keep the
> > customer satisfied", HD installation would have been a thing
> > done months ago.
>
> You don't understand:
>
> HD-installation gives you a Knoppix-system fully configured,
> but which is basically a debian and that makes problems.
>
> People loose KDE, get problems with dependencies.
>
> You should ask people on #debian or #debian-de. They don't
> support knoppix and why ? Because it is soo complicated.

I understand it's a wee bit more complicate dthan my little 10
line scripts :) Kai seems optimistic about resolving all the
issues but, as I said, I'm afraid it's going to involve a whole
lot of boring debugging. It might not always be "fun" and, as a
simple user, after 9 months of waiting, I just can't hope things
will finally work just fine in an undefined future. As I said to
Kay, I'll rather count on Vector Linux or some other distro like
it.

Maybe, as developper, you have the drive to go through all the
obstacle and that's fine. You will get more than a lot of praise
if you ever succeed.

But, i for one, would think it would take more involvement from
Klaus, at least in setting up a better organisation, like Daniel
Robbins does for Gentoo, for exemple.

> However your mails slowly take the fun from me, I must say ...

Gee, if it's all it takes, the project is really in jeopardy!

> You could even try the new isntaller, I sepnt some hour even if
> I don't have the time at the moment for _you_ ...

I have one (1) computer at home. For now, and for a few months,
I'll have use both versions of Slack. After that, maybe I could
test, but testing something I know I won't be able to use because
the file system is not really standard or because the
configuration files are not saved is not much of an incentive for
me. I'm not enough into computing for that.

And I don't believe testing the making of a boot floppy is so
urgent. It seems you have other issues to solve and, while doing
so, you'll probably have to make a boot floppy :)

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but I sometimes feel
Linux developpers feel alone. They sometimes have an application
that is totally immature and they just want to release to have
comments, to feel like somethong is really going on.

But, the public at large -- which I'm a part of -- very quickly
gets tired of testing immature software. And it gets both the
public and the developpers pissed off.

Kai seems to be working in developping the installer. He's the
kind of person you should be dealing with to make a road map, to
set up deadlines, to split the work between different developpers
and see who "delivers', and who talks and procrastinate.

When you have a FINAL product, then I would be time for me, as a
user, to check the interface and maybe help write some
documentation. (Though I must confess I hardly can stand on my
feet these days: I get woken up about ten times every night. It
doesn't help when you need to concentrate on the very precise
details of documentation. So it's more likely I'll die or go
crazy than ever write documentation.)

So... What I mean is you should try to get organized... if it's
not already done. If you don't meet your deadlines, it won't be
only "Well, it's going to be ready when it's ready", you'll be
able to check why you didn't meet the deadline. If somebody's
work is behind everybody's he migh tstrive to work harder. You
will discover who's more competent in this and that domain and
learn from each other.

In the end, it will be more stimulating and more fun. You don't
have to be a company to set things up!

Just don't give up because of me or anybody else. :)

GP
--
La Masse critique
http://pages.infinit.net/mcrit