[debian-knoppix] re: boot floppy obsession

On Sat, 2003-08-01 at 16:24, Gilles continues:

> From: Gilles Pelletier <gilpel@altern.org>
> To: debian-knoppix@linuxtag.org
> Subject: Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix installed on HD: still not a standard Debian!
> Date: 01 Aug 2003 16:24:05 -0400

> That's why there's no reason for hype about Linux: we're loosing
> the game. There is something wrong about the development model.
> Linux is developed "en vase clos" (in uncommunicating vessels? :)
> by developpers who don't give a damn about end users. If they're
> not satisfied, they should learn programming, and that's it! What
> remains to be seen is what programmers will think when their
> dentist turns out to be another programmer...

Didn't you rant and rave for days about persistent home - and then it
turned out you hadn't tried it or even knew what was..........?

Knoppix is a live CD and a very valuable tool with many uses.

Your insinuation about developers and the development model is
disgraceful. Multiple post whining about a boot floppy for a bootable
CD!?? Why don't you take a good look at what these linux developers have
done for millions of people and then develop a sense of perspective.

> > Attached you have an special
> > hacked up version only for _you_ with boot-floppy support!
>
> Thanks, but it's not the only problem. I want a stable, standard
> Debian distro that I can really rely on.
>
> I need basic instructions to set up a firewall. I know I can call
> it foofire and start it from misc.sh ... at the right moment
> during boot. But I new to know how it's done in Debian so I can
> read documentation if I ever run into a problem.
>
> > I just hadn't the _time_ to program it. Ok ?
>
> No problem. As I said, call me for version 1.

Fabian took the time to include boot floppy support and you won't use it
till everyone else beta tests it for you!?? How do you think it will get
to version 1 if everyone reacted like you.

> > And as such it should be handled. As a new product which _has_
> > bugs, which is _not complete_ and which as such should not be
> > used by the wide public at the moment.
>
> No problem. As I said, call me for version 1.

Try to regain the balance of your mind.

kind regards
rob