Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Knoppix terminal server problems

Your message is intentionally misleading.

Since you know spanning-tree take 30 sec by default to go from blocking to forwarding. Why do you talk about speed negotiation? Speed negotiation does not take ages except bad driver associated with poorly designed ethernet card on not to recommend operating system. ;-)

You have a normal spanning-tree delay problem.

If you have problem configuring the switch... use the hub. ;-)

David GLAUDE

Wouter Mignon wrote:
I've solved the problem.

We are using CISCO switches and FastHUBs. Some of our switches have
default configuration. With this default configuration a CISCO switch
takes a long time to negotiate speed and whatever else they have to
handshake about. When the module (in my case e1000) is loaded the switch
starts to re-negotiate, it takes about 30sec. Before the Knoopix client
can accuire an ip-address a timeout occurs and i was dropped in to a
limited shell.

I guess the time-out is hardcoded, it should be longer for lousy
sysadmins like me who deploy there cisco switches with default set-up
:-) Anyway, you can set solve the problem on the cisco side by setting
all your interfaces to 'portfast' mode so they don't take too long to
negociate. Typing 'spanning-tree portfast default' in config mode should
do.

I'm happy now. bye.

Wouter.