Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Knoppix terminal server problems

I've solved the problem.

We are using CISCO switches and FastHUBs. Some of our switches have
default configuration. With this default configuration a CISCO switch
takes a long time to negotiate speed and whatever else they have to
handshake about. When the module (in my case e1000) is loaded the switch
starts to re-negotiate, it takes about 30sec. Before the Knoopix client
can accuire an ip-address a timeout occurs and i was dropped in to a
limited shell.

I guess the time-out is hardcoded, it should be longer for lousy
sysadmins like me who deploy there cisco switches with default set-up
:-) Anyway, you can set solve the problem on the cisco side by setting
all your interfaces to 'portfast' mode so they don't take too long to
negociate. Typing 'spanning-tree portfast default' in config mode should
do.

I'm happy now. bye.

Wouter.

Op wo 09-07-2003, om 02:53 schreef Jared Rhine:
> [Wouter == wouter.mignon@khleuven.be on 08 Jul 2003 22:30:26 +0200]
>
> Jared> To diagnosis this, you should check the server's syslog and
> Jared> also snoop the network to watch the traffic going back and
> Jared> forth; often, the problem becomes clear via one of those two
> Jared> steps.
>
> Wouter> This is what i found out after logging all of the network
> Wouter> traffic with ethereal. After the tftp transfer has happend to
> Wouter> fetch the kernel and miniroot nothing happens on the network.
>
> It wasn't clear you had snooped to confirm there's no DHCP request
> going out.  That narrows the problem down to the miniroot.gz that's
> being loaded.  Is this an unmodified miniroot.gz created by the
> terminal server scripts?
>
> You may need to create a modified miniroot.gz in order to put in
> debugging code in the startup procedure.  Stuff like confirm the
> driver's loaded, run if-up manually, etc.
>
> -- jared@wordzoo.com
>
> "Better to be of a rare breed than a long line." -- TDK
Wouter Mignon
Systeembeheerder