Re: [debian-knoppix] Software recommendations for LinuxTag DVD edition?

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 02:16:02AM +0000, Tom Goulet (UID0) wrote:
> The "tuxracer" package is definitely about racing Tux, and is, according
> to Debian, licenced under the GNU GPL.  Perhaps only an older version is
> released under the GNU GPL.  The "openracer" package sounds familiar but
> I don't know what it is.

AFAIK tuxracer is now a commercial project with a non-GPL license, and
its descendant, openracer, is still under the GPL and developed
separately.

> > Then it is probably not goot for the DVD. German buerocracy requires
> > to request a "Altersfreigabe" for games, and it would be a pity if the
> > DVD could only be given to people showing their passport to prove they
> > are over 18.
>
> <looks somewhat shocked>  Government-issued identification is required
> to receive a DVD?!

If you buy a computergame in a shop, you are required to show an ID for
games that are either rated >= 16 or have NO rating (this is new),
yes. They just extended that law from videos, and apparently did not
think about the consequences for free software.

> Do you want more packages?

Only those that are useful.

> > Ok, but Caution: It must be put under an OpenMusic license
> > (http://openmusic.linuxtag.org/)
>
> Not even some other form of free licence?  What about the EFF Open Audio
> Licence?

I don't know this license. I can only say for OpenMusic (the green
license version) that it allows to copy and distribute music freely.
So, this would be the license of my choice.

> (Uhm, I am not completely sure the arrangement and composition are
> public domain... I think it's a traditional Russian song but I'm not
> sure.)

Well, _I_ must make sure, since it is us who would be getting sued for
copyright violation. ;-)

> Mutopia sheet music perhaps?  It's public domain or licenced under the
> Mutopia BSD licence.

Nice, but who owns the distribution/broadcast rights?

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org