Re: [debian-knoppix] Open accounting and Open source

Hi Bruce,

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 17:22:04 -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:

> So, the installer we're talking about is a rewrite of one I did in 1996,
> I think, which was itself a rewrite of one that Ian Murdock did in
> ancient time. I think they entirely replaced my code without

:-)

> substantially changing the user interaction. So, I can see why you would
> be frustrated.

I just installed Woody yesterday, and I had no problems with the
Debian installer.

> I've not been involved, so I wouldn't know. And I've not tried the
> installed Klaus did. But one thing to look out for is genrality.

Klaus did everything in Knoppix, except the installer. The installer
"knx-hdinstall" was written by me. Actually, Klaus never planned to
install Knoppix to hard disk.

IMHO my installer is not easier to use than the standard Debian
installer. knx-hdinstall just takes advantage of the fact that all
hardware detection is done by Knoppix _before_ starting the installer.

So the main difference between installing Debian and installing Knoppix
is that the (sometimes painful) process of configuring the hardware
isn't needed in Knoppix. Plus, things like kernel 2.4.20 and XFree 4.3.0
are included, so more hardware is supported.

However, there are also disadvantages:

knx-hdinstall can only install the whole CD (cloop) content, because
all the packages are in installed form. This makes package selection
dead easy (because there is none), but you need about 2.2 gig hd space
to install it.

Knoppix is a mixture of Debian packages from testing and unstable. As
long as it runs from CD, this is no problem. But when installed to hard
disk, upgrading with apt-get/aptitude/whatever _may_ cause trouble.

> The Knoppix installer can't necessarily address the problem space
> that the Debian installer must handle.

Agreed. But before talking about it theoretical, please try it. I would
like to see more people actually trying out the software they talk about.

> One of the best things you could do would be to figure out how to
> merge the changes of Knoppix back into Debian. But you may have to
> invest more time into becoming a packager to handle that.

I'm afraid this would require two versions of the Knoppix boot scripts
and hardware detection. One handling the up-to-date Knoppix and another
handling Woody (older kernel, older XFree, so it is lacking support for
newer hardware components).

bye,
  Chris
--