Re: [debian-knoppix] Open accounting and Open source

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 12:13:28AM -0400, Gilles Pelletier wrote:
> > Issues I have never seen addressed in any other forum... I like
> > Knoppix even more now and I haven't even burnt the current ISO to
> > CD yet !
>
> Wait till you do. You're in for a surprise.

Realy? Did I miss an error?

> As knoppixfr.org and knoppix.net were already online, Klaus decided to
> register knoppix.com (Maybe .org would have been more appropriate?)

Er... I did not register a knoppix.com domain. And neither knoppix.org.

> I also suppose there are reasons why knoppix.net doesn't use the
> distro's default background anymore.

I don't know. I didn't register knoppix.net either. That's Eaden's
playground, and a good one, btw. :-)

> This basic organisation is needed even for open source. Now comes a
> new concern: security. From what I could gather, it's not optimum for
> understandable reasons. Still, I believe it must be adressed.
>
> Of course, nobody here gives a damn about a security hole with
> ghostscript in KDE while opening pdf file.

Well, I do. But I just can't rebuild KDE from source to fix errors that
should be fixed by the genuine maintainers who are way better at
building Debian packages than I am. I'm not even sure if the ghostscript
problem is really present in the current unstable debian packages, has
anybody tried an exploit?

> The hell! You just don't
> open untrusted pdf files, and that's it.

Not a good solution.

> The problem is if you starr distributing Knoppix CD to you family and
> friends, people who have never seen an extension on their Windows
> system, never heard about security fixes, someday, you're bound to
> have problems. And it will be no use explaining why the problem
> happened, it will be bad for business, even though it's open source
> business. So, if the is a problem, it must be addressed.
>
> How, is the question. Let's move on.

Well, any solutions yet?

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org