Re: [debian-knoppix] cheat code that allows hd based knoppix from original CDROM

Thanks, chris and Donn Washburn.

Perhaps I would like to clear my intention.

My point is a expansion of knoppix purpose - instead of a demo cdrom, it will be a proper and perhaps to be one of the best distributation way around to use Linux. Other than Mandrake, it is the only distribution I have successful use for the last one decade. (I did try s--ware one). For those of us that have to use windows for some works but like to dual boot to updated linux from time to time, that seems it is very close to be there but just not. It has a possibility to work like Virtual PC i.e. all major files externalised and live in another PC. You do not need to mesh around with MBR and you can copy this files across easily to different systems.

Let us start from what should be in the fat32 hard drive you may understand me.

In the exterme wish what one want is simply

- a fat32 partition (windos c:) or this is not possible another partition
- a knoppix swap file in this partition
- a knoppix home file (.img) in this partition again
- the /knoppix in this partition as well
- a cdrom

boot with a cheatcode say =tw for language thing, home=/... myconfig=/... cdromfile=/... ... and then use the knoppix. I can copy easily those files to anywhere I want (I have a portable hard disk) or I can backup easily using the crdom as well. Perfect. The cheatcode proposed here is simply one step towards things that people seemed to work on.

Other than obviously no idea to add cheatcode, I can reach the point so far to

- a fat32 partition (windos d:)
- a knoppix swap file under d:
- a /knoppix under d:
- no cdrom
- use floppy to boot (my portable has to hotswap the floppy or cdrom)

The issue is

a) The solution above is already documented in hdbased but I miss it first round as the whole page above is very hard to follow. Still, the need of floppy in all cases sesms not unnecessary as everyone that run knoppix would have cdrom. Insist on floppy would mean that I cannot use my cdrom. Using Lilo helps but it touches upon MBR. BTW, the network based approach is not in the minimist spirit as it require one more CPU.

b) For the persistent home, it does not work so far . I have used a knoppix menu to create the knoppix.img. The script came up with an error message of
"THE KNOPPIX configuation could NOT be saved:
/usr/sbin/mkpersistenthome: line 231:rsync: command not found". Struggle still what is meant by that. At the end of the day may have to set up the 7g linux partition to do the knoppix cloning. But I still think that such hard work is not necessary.

Overall speaking, it just seem it is there and I have to work a bit harder to make knoppix very user friendly distribution. You simply do not have to wait few hours for a new disrtibution compile and run on a new machine.

Dennis