Re: Asus A7V Promise ATA100, was: Re: Spurious interrupt, was Re: [debian-knoppix] knoppix boot hang, Asus A7V ATA100

Klaus Knopper wrote:

promise controller option is compiled in the 3.2 versions only, for
example. Don't know if this has anything to do with the problem, though.

So this brought out an interesting data point:

The Debian (Sid) system I have running on the machine does NOT have the Promise driver compiled in, but hde is attached to the promise controller and works! When I was running 2.2, I did have the drive working with the "ide2=0x9400, 0x9002 ide3=0x8800, 0x8402" parameters to help linux find the Promise controller (from http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/), but I upgraded to 2.4 I had to disable the Promise driver.

It looks like if I compile the Promise module (pdc202xx.o) , my Debian system hangs at startup, exactly as Knoppix does. If I do not include pdc202xx.o, my system boots & works fine.

drivers/ide/pdc202xx.c includes the following notes:

*  Promise Ultra66 cards with BIOS v1.11 this
*  compiled into the kernel if you have more than one card installed.
*
*  Promise Ultra100 cards with BIOS v2.01 this
*  compiled into the kernel if you have more than one card installed.

My BIOS is 2.01, and I have only a single Promise) card installed (the one built-in to the A7V motherboard).

I wonder if the driver could be hanging trying to detect a second card or something like that?

Is there any way I can disable that module from the knoppix boot?

kb

PS. Including my full previous message, because I sent it from a non-subscribed email address, and because I added Andre from pdc202xx.c

Kevin J. Butler wrote:

Klaus Knopper wrote:

Just wanted to note that I get this "error" message on one of my mastering
machine (Athlon board), too. It is harmless and just tells you that the
parallel port just generated an interrupt while no driver for this
interrupt was installed yet.

:-)

Thanks for the reply.

You never said which version (build date, please!) you tried. The

Sorry, thought I'd included that. I've been working with 2003-03-28 and 2003-01-20.

promise controller option is compiled in the 3.2 versions only, for
example. Don't know if this has anything to do with the problem, though.

So this brought out an interesting data point:

The Debian (Sid) system I have running on the machine does NOT have the Promise driver compiled in, but hde is attached to the promise controller and works! When I was running 2.2, I did have the drive working with the "ide2=0x9400, 0x9002 ide3=0x8800, 0x8402" parameters to help linux find the Promise controller (from http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/), but I upgraded to 2.4 I had to disable the Promise driver.

hdparm says I don't have DMA enabled on the drive, and cat hde/driver says "ide-disk version 1.12", so perhaps my Debian system is using the drive in some sort of compatibility mode? I'm recompiling the kernel to enable the Promise driver, and will see what happens...

knoppix noapic may help, too,

Nope.  :-(

or just disabling some odd BIOS options
like "plug and play OS" that basically says to use a wrong interrupt
(0) for all PCI devices. You should turn that option off for Linux, even
that Linux IS "plug&play". ;-)

Yes, that counter-intuitive setting was necessary for my installed Linux system. :-)

Thanks

kb