[debian-knoppix] Dell computers

I've been running Knoppix 3.2 3-28-03.en version and it seems to run great
everywhere but on the Dell computers which I'm using at work.

When booting from the CDROM, all looks good until it starts the X server.
At that point, the screen goes blank. Now here is what's interesting.....
If I power down and reboot, I can not even get the BIOS screen to come up
on the computer. I have to pull the video card out of the box and use the onboard
video to recover. It seems to run OK with the onboard video.

Since the screen goes blank, I do not have a good record of the errors.
It has dies consistently on a couple different versions of the Dell Optiplex line. The last one I tested was the older Dell Optiplex GX260 with the additional Dell provided ATI iRadeonQY graphics
card (P/N 1028111001 063139)  Rev A01.  It also dies with the more recent 2.8 Ghz boxes with the same
symtoms. Here is some info : http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?CS=04&kc=6W300&oc=GX260SSAPP

The video must be one of these:
32MB, ATI, Radeon™ VE,VGA (dual monitor capable)
32MB, ATI, Radeon™ VE, VGA/DVI (dual monitor capable)

Any ideas as to what to try. Its a pain ripping the video cards out and I can't understand
how Knoppix messes up the computer to the point that even the BIOS doesn't display (yes,
even when I pull the CD out and attempt to boot)

   -Mike

     mwgrenier@yahoo.com