Re: [debian-knoppix] critical bug in 2003-03-21

Hi,

Since I would like to use Knoppix again using my usb keyboard and mouse I
collected some (hopefully more sufficient...) info, which might give a clue
about the cause for my (and Kai's) usb errors

When using Knoppix-07-12-02 I get the following (brief) output from lsusb:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 03f0:3c02 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 045e:001c Microsoft Corp.
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 045e:002b Microsoft Corp. Internet Keyboard Pro
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 045e:001e Microsoft Corp. IntelliMouse Explorer
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

While booting the 07-12-02 version (during "autoconfiguring devices")  I get
the following errormessage:
insmod: insmod:  a module named input already exists
insmod: insmod: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/input/input.o
failed
insmod: insmod:  insmod usbmouse failed
After that, however, my MS Intellimouse Explorer mouse is detected
(/dev/input/mice) and the keyboard works properly as well.

When I do the same with all versions newer than 07-12-02 (including the new
3.2. version..)  I get this output from lsusb:

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

During "autoconfiguring devices" I don't get errormessages, but
unfortunately the devices are not detected either...

The output from lspci is the same for both versions.

I am having exactly the same problem with RedHat 7.3 (OK) vs. RedHat 8.0.
(not OK).  SuSE 8.1 works perfectly however.

If I'm not mistaken RedHat's Kudzo is used for hardware detection, so maybe
something changed in Kudzo around that time?

Any ideas?
Regards,  Luuk