Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: remastering Knoppix CD

Hallo knoppixer,

> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Achim Unger wrote:
>
> > There are two reasons why I think it will not be very wise (for me):
> > 1) I am limited in download volume to 2 GB per month, but that could
> > be expanded. More important is the next argument.
> So our project would be a solution for you: Just download the stuff
> you really need.  Perhaps using some Debian-CDs before obtaining the
> remanining things from the net.

NOW, I see what you and sean finney are working on! You want to unpack
KNOPPIX on HD, load just the new packages from internet and remaster
KNOPPIX, right?

Well, the script from Thomas Lange does this, but it could be improved
(with Xdialog and make it work from KNOPPIX when started with
floppyconfig), that is what I am working on. A chroot to the
uncompressed KNOPPIX, apt-get update; apt-get upgrade and a remastering
should do it what you want, at least in theory. But according to this
mailing list there had been Problems in doing so. :-((

> > 2) The SW might not work! I have tested modified versions, like kix,
> > and c't and they all have minor problems. The Advantage of knoppix
> > is the collection of software by Klaus (imho) AND the featback that
> > he gets about what is running or not for this list.
> If a Debian package would not wokr you should definitely fire up
> reportbug and report the problem to the Debian Bug Tracking System.
> This would take workload from Klaus because he will not have to check
> things for his own but could use upstream Debian packages blindly.

The problems DO NOT occure in Knoppix nor in DEBIAN, only in modified
versions. For example desktop=icewm does not work on the c't Version. It
simply does not start:-(. If you start it by hand, it works!

> > 3) I think making a script that builds knoppix from scratch would be
> > a different project.
> We do not want to build Knoppix from scratch but we want to make the
> work for Klaus as easy as possible and as comprehensible as possible
> for other users.  This would enable cooperation and faster development
> of Knoppix features.  No reinventing the wheel ...
>
> > I want to build a script, that reads a CD, start chroot bash to
> > modify it, make the iso-image and burn it if you have a CD-Writer in
> > addition to the cd knoppix is running from!
> The idea is to obtain this image once and just obtain the changed
> things via "apt-get upgrade".  This would definitely save your small
> bandwidth.

So, we are working on the same problem. Maybe tomorrow I will relase
my script, or bette the improved version by Th. Lange. I have to test
it once on a different machine to see it works.

> > I hope I hve not understood your project wrong, have I?
> I hope this (and seans) mail clarify things.

NOW, I understand:-))

Could one possible solution be, setting up one server with deb packages
and modify sources.list, so all packages ae loaded from there? One
problem might be where can we find the filespace!?