Re: [debian-knoppix] Analyzing Knoppix extra stuff (Was: knoppix/bootcd like software?)

Hi Ralf,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 12:52:51 +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:

> diving into the knoppix specifics, you have:
>
> - - a modified init

Needed for ejecting the CD at shutdown.

> - - a hacked up /etc/inittab

Needed for starting the X session when passwords are disabled.
(*please* read README_Security.txt!)

> - - all symlinks from /etc/init.d/ to /etc/rc* removed

No (read: NO) services are started on Knoppix by default.
(*please* read README_Security.txt!)

> What we would propose is the following:
>
> - - use the regular init if possible

Not possible.

> - - don't hack up /etc/inittab <-- this is the worst thing you can do to a
> System V system :-)

Maybe the X session part can be moved to a separated init script.

> - - apt-get install kdm

Remember, passwords are disabled. No one can log in normally.
For security reasons, it has to stay that way.

And even with autologin this would force everyone to use kdm just for
starting an X session (even when not using KDE). Not very nice.
Knoppix is not just KDE!
(no, I am *not* a GNOME fan)

bye,
  Chris