Re: [debian-knoppix] Analyzing Knoppix extra stuff (Was: knoppix/bootcd like software?)

hey ralf,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 12:52:51PM +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 13. März 2003 11:44, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > sysvinit-knoppix 2.84-146	GPL
>
> > xsession-initscript-knoppix	0.5-7	GPL
> >
> > xsession-knoppix	0.5-9	GPL
> >         K ??? what's the difference to the package above?

i think the difference is one is the autologin script, and the
other is the .xsession/.xinitrc that gets sourced.

> diving into the knoppix specifics, you have:
>
> - - a modified init
> - - a hacked up /etc/inittab
> - - all symlinks from /etc/init.d/ to /etc/rc* removed
>
> What we would propose is the following:
>
> - - use the regular init if possible
> - - don't hack up /etc/inittab <-- this is the worst thing you can do to a
> System V system :-)
> - - apt-get install kdm

i agree with the first two issues.  however, i think the third is worth
discussion.  i think it'd be real cool to be able to create your own
passwd file on the cd and actually force the user to do logins, but at
the same time the autologin feature would be really cool too if you don't
need it for your purposes.

the former can be done with chrooting into the target dir and
adduser/passwd, and i think the latter can be done with the autologin
script above, or otherwise by simply installing rungetty in the chroot
and putting an entry in inittab like

7:23:wait:/sbin/rungetty -w /home/user -u user --autologin user tty7 startx

i kind of like having an initscript that does this, as i agree with your
second point too.  perhaps the autologin package could use a renaming,
like knoppixdm or something, because really it's doing the job of xdm/kdm
but just skipping the detail of getting the password.

> - - change /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc to do a direct login of the user with giving the
> user a password and set kdmrc to 600. This is the safest way to handle the
> user account and at the same time making the user not requireing to know his
> password to get straight into X.

i think we can bypass kdm alltogether with what i described above.

regards
	sean