Re: [debian-knoppix] variety of offers

Hoi Alex,

At Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 11:35:16PM +0100, Alex de Landgraaf wrote:
> Why all this talk about a hypothetical modular system that people have been busy
> building for nearly 1,5 months? Why talk about splitting hardware detection from
> UI when it's already done, and it works? Why wondering how much work it would

It's not Knoppix, remember? ;-)

No serious: this isn't about splitting boot and rest, it's about separating
the scripts that do the work. The very reason Morphix came into being is -
as far as I understood - the idea of having a buildtime configurable Knoppix.

I do have a build-time configurable one, without Morphix. So that's not the
problem. The (sort of) "problem" is that Knoppix has it's configuration in
one large file.

I think Morphix is a good idea, because you acquire a lot of info on the
various aspects of the boot process. This could (and should!) ultimately
lead to a better Knoppix.

> the way? Why dream about an ISO generator when a project already has one?
> (albeight it needs tending to now, as no one used it)

I have one too ;-)

> would just want to ask people to at least take a look at morphix and try it out
> for themselfs before inventing the wheel yet another time... www.morphix.org

Yes, I agree - look at Morphix. But Alex, please keep in mind that most
people get attracted to this project through Knoppix and that your basic
strategies are the same. That means that a slightly more modularized setup
could help many; a heavily modularized setup with different scripts is very
useful, but as for the various build scripts people (like me) have made, it
is slightly more work to incorporate a different setup. Which doesn't mean
that Knoppix is the ultimate solution - it just means that you can't
necessarily be able to merge two Knoppix deviations into one better Knoppix
;-)

Valentijn
--
http://www.openoffice.nl/   Open Office - Linux Office Solutions