Re: [debian-knoppix] Debian package to bootstrap Knoppix (Was: variety of offers)

Hi Andreas,

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:58:56AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Reinventing the wheel... It's a really big problem anywhere in life...
> > I have alredy reinvented the wheel many times, and I think I'm not the
> > only one.
> I'm quite new to this list and do not know how often the wheel was invented
> before.  So I'll give it a try and I hope you keep in mind that:
>
>       A triangular wheel is better than a quadratic one
>       because it shakes one times less per turn. ;-)
>

> On LinuxTag Chemnitz I had the idea that we could adopt the debootstrap
> package (which builds a Debian chroot environment) for bootstrapping customized
> Knoppix CDs.
>
> I'm currently trying to derive a "knopootstrap" from debootstrap.
> (Feel free to suggest a better name here - I'm not the best in finding names ...)
> The idea is as follows:

imho there is no need for changing the debootstrap script. A long time
ago, i have posted a script which builds a (customized) knoppix in a chroot
environment using a unmodified debootstrap script. Of course my script is
only a "design study" but it works for me.

I've encountered only a lack of feature in apt. apt starts automatically
a service after installation (e.g. apt-get install exim results into a
running mta after installation and configuration). There is imho no
'--do-not-start-service'-Option.

>   1. Make knopootstrap an official Debian package. So everybody running
>      Debian could easily create Knoppix CDs.
>
>   2. knopootstrap should install a base system and install some
>      Knoppix specific debs into it.  These Knoppix specific debs should
>      be hosted on a Knoppix mirror and should be included in the
>         /etc/apt/sources.list
>      for an easy update.  For sure these packages should be installed
>      in the knopootstrap process.
>      These Knoppix specific packages should contain all Knoppix specific
>      stuff including the right dependencies.
>      Perhaps some meta packages would make sense:
>
>         knoppix-base:  Just the base system without X
>         knoppix-x:     All stuff necessary to run an X session
>         knoppix-kde:   All stuff necessary to run KDE
>         knoppix-gnome: All stuff necessary to run Gnome
>
>      For the sake of limited space on a CD a knoppix-kde might conflict
>      to knoppix-gnome.
>
>   3. Install your personal packages which you want to put onto the Knoppix CD
>      via
>
>            apt-get install <my packages>
>
>   4. Build Knoppix ISO via a tool which should be provided by knopootstrap.
>
> In my opinion this would make our live to create customized CDs as easy as
> possible while making sure you always kan get the latest and greatest Knoppix
> features because you are deriving the Knoppix stuff modularized from an
> "official" Knoppix mirror with the knoppix-*.deb packages.  (Perhaps it
> might make sense to make thees packages official Debian packages because
> Debian has a plenty of mirrors all over the world - so why not using this
> infra structure??)
>
> What I have just done:
>
>     http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/knopootstrap/
>
>     Well, this is just a *really* quick hack which does nothing else than
>     debootstrap.  It is more or less a s/debootstrap/knopootstrap/ and
>     disabling the feature to select different hardware architectures.
>
> What has to be done (in my opinion):
> Find some Knoppix experts (I do absolutely not count to this group of people,
> but this might change in the future) who would like to take over the following
> tasks:
>
>    1. Caring for the repository of knoppix-*.deb packages.
>       A first step could be to take the latest Knoppix and dpkg-repackage
>       all non-official packages.  But I think it is more straightforeward
>       to ask Klaus for these packages.  However, I would like to avoid
>       extra workload for Klaus and thus hopefully someone else would step
>       in here.

there is already a knoppix repository online. unfortunately the repository is a
little bit outdated and not really useful right now. We need to write a couple
of scripts to build the repository without human interaction.