ADSL-USB-MODEM + Re: [debian-knoppix] mozilla and email client compatible Win-knoppix and booting knoppix from win2k

Did you verify that your CD is OK? Did you verify the md5sum?
It looks to me as if you have a defective CD, if you can't start mozilla
mail, and booting does not work as expected.

Given the number of thing I did not see right this time (missing the Mozilla mail client, failing to boot from win2k) it might well be me not properly testing/checking. But the checksum for the iso is right.

Also I would love to see the checksum for the KNOPPIX file since this is the one I extract (without burning a CD-R) using IsoBuster (hint for the FAQ: "How can I try Knoppix without a CD-R using windows tools since I don't have linux yet" Answer: "Extract the ISO (after md5sum checking) with IsoBuster and extract the content into a FAT partition or extract the KNOPPIX file in a KNOPPIX directory and make a floppy).

I forgot to describe the incredible archievement I made with Knoppix and my USB/ADSL/EICON/MODEM and successufly connecting to the internet with it. Actually that modem was not supported by linux kernel or anything else. There is no driver as such but a useland process that "emulate" a pty(?) for pppd to use.

So the only trick is to download the "driver", ./configure with parameter so that it does not try to write in read-only partition, copy the modules.cfg to a read/write file so that it can be modified by "make install". Once it is done you just need to configure, find the right synchronisation file by trial error (depend on your location) and ./startmodem connect you to the internet.

I don't request this kind (28) of ADSL-USB modem to be supported by Knoppix since the "driver" is beta, the firmware (copyright) is distributed in the package, ...

But it is nice to know someone made it work and it might be reproducable by other with similar modem. You will find the driver homepage by searching ECI ADSL USB MODEM in Google => http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/ .

Other than that, thanks to knopper for the keyboard and xkeyboard.
"lang=us keyboard=be2-latin keyboard=be" make my live easyer (not counting all the non-French french speaking and other).

Thanks for the report, I have not thoroughly tested the new feature
myself and wondered if anyone had already been using it. :-)

One trick was to find the right kind value for the argument.
Once I found out that the error message when passing "keyboard=randomstring" was comming from the binary of loadkey it was easy to find the right value for that argument. Maybe it should be added somewhere in the doc that the value is the same you pass to loadkey.

For "xloadkey=be" I did not investigate and since it was working at the first attempt, I don't know where/what is the list of possible value.

David GLAUDE