RE: [debian-knoppix] radeon and languages

> added. You can circumvent this by saying
>
> knoppix xmodule=radeon
> or maybe also
> knoppix xmodule=ati
> on the boot prompt.

xmodule=radeon should work (xf86), but will test it after holidays. on
savage4/mx everything works quite allright even if it uses also vesafb at
boot. All XAA is accel, but DRI isn't (although this is not knoppix
specific).

> Yes, since XFree 4.2.1, some ATI card run with hardware and
> *GL accelleration, so chromium runs at native speed (good
> program for testing, btw. ;-)

depending on hardware, xf86 has been accelerated already in 4.1.x branch for
some radeons. Tried chromium on a integrated intel mobo graphics, also on
savage4/mx, was painfully slow to even navigate in the menus ;-). what is
chromium supposed to do?

There's actually another eyecandy/benchmark that tries to be GPU-bound, I
need to rewrite it so that it doesn't depend on SDL_Image and preferrable
even on SDL, and it should be quite small. (www.koltsoff.com/sucky/ ->
lfs-fbv). And yes, it produces comparable numbers. Running in indirect
(software) mesa isn't recommended unless you pass very small window size
(40x30 for example).

> so typing loadkeys fi in the console should work (if you find
> all the necessary keys for this statement). The finnisch KDE
> keyboard should work as well. You can even try booting with
> knoppix lang=fi to activate (if present) the finnish locales set.

keymap in KDE works flawlessly after activation. I'll try the lang=fi boot
thing later on. I'm aiming to make a local knoppix version for finnish
speaking ppl that we can give away after unix-courses (no modifications
other than default language would be finnish as much as possible). I've also
contacted i18n-kde-fi team about helping them out with the translation
effort.

> This is a normal Debian system, so you can just install the locales
packages for fi and the
> kde-i18n-fi package for KDE.

What about the knoppix boot scripts? are they even translated to other
languages than en? Forgive my ignorance, I'm using the EN-image directly.

> I got some requests for that, but I'm a little afraid about
> stability and size of the kernel (kernel, a statically linked shell
> and some SCSI modules have to fit on a single 1.44MB floppy disk in
> order to still be able to boot old PCs from floppy). Apart from that,
> openMosix runs fine from a floppy disk with all necessary support
> tools, daemons and config files, so a Mosix-enabled Knoppix-CD
> would probably be a bit of overkill, no?

no it wouldn't ;-). but it was a wish, not to be taken too seriously really.

I'll try to poke around some more and maybe come with some ideas about this
so that it could be done in a sane way.

that way I could run a server with pxe/dhcpd/tftpd config and all computers
could be booted over network and automatically would join mosix cluster.
could use such a setup even in our offices even if we are an windows shop.
ppl have been rather sceptic towards linux before here and were quite
impressed by knoppix couple of days ago and demanded their copies of the
CD-R:s :--). linux domination, yey.

The fact that one can access NTFS volumes directly dybassing all ACL
mechanisms didn't escape noticing when people tried it. Maybe a small
knoppix demonstration will be in order for security courses as well. BIOS
passwords are necessary after all it seems.

An idea came into mind about the "serialization" of user files and config
into floppy. Would be rather cool to have an automatic distributed block
device daemon for knoppix systems in the same network. What could be
achieved would be that on host shutdown, the user files would be copied to
some other knoppix system (not written to hard disk), or two/three for
safety. As long as data would survive on some host, it could be at later
date retrieved (almost automatically) by the computer that would be powering
up. Alas atm there is no simple distributed file system to achieve this.
Migrating network block device maybe? With compression of course. Would need
some support code of course, but could be done.

ak.