Re: [debian-knoppix] radeon and languages

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 09:00:23AM +0200, Koltsoff Aleksandr wrote:
> xmodule=radeon should work (xf86), but will test it after holidays. on
> savage4/mx everything works quite allright even if it uses also vesafb at
> boot. All XAA is accel, but DRI isn't (although this is not knoppix
> specific).

Hmm... On one of my testing machines, an ATI card (rage 128, I think),
DRI and XAA both work fine, and chromium is incredibly fast even in
1024x768 mode.

> > Yes, since XFree 4.2.1, some ATI card run with hardware and
> > *GL accelleration, so chromium runs at native speed (good
> > program for testing, btw. ;-)
>
> depending on hardware, xf86 has been accelerated already in 4.1.x branch for
> some radeons. Tried chromium on a integrated intel mobo graphics, also on
> savage4/mx, was painfully slow to even navigate in the menus ;-). what is
> chromium supposed to do?

It is a (mostly) 2D shoot'em up game (but a harmless one with no gore), with
nice shading and 3D effects that definitely require *GL, and good
sounds. You can show this to windows gaming fans who still think that playing
games on Linux means pushing Ascii blocks around in a 80x25 text
console. ;-)

> keymap in KDE works flawlessly after activation. I'll try the lang=fi boot
> thing later on. I'm aiming to make a local knoppix version for finnish
> speaking ppl that we can give away after unix-courses (no modifications
> other than default language would be finnish as much as possible). I've also
> contacted i18n-kde-fi team about helping them out with the translation
> effort.

Great. :-) When you are done, please let me know. I can add a link to
the finnish version to www.knopper.net/knoppix and other related sites
to announce your CD.

> What about the knoppix boot scripts? are they even translated to other
> languages than en? Forgive my ignorance, I'm using the EN-image directly.

/linuxrc and /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig are only in english, because
I don't think that it makes sense to translate boot messages that nobody
is going to read ever anyways. ;-)

Most of the scripts and icons in the KNOPPIX menu have translations in some other
languages if booted with lang=de|fr|en|es for example. This is mostly
contributed code.

> that way I could run a server with pxe/dhcpd/tftpd config and all computers
> could be booted over network and automatically would join mosix cluster.
> could use such a setup even in our offices even if we are an windows shop.
> ppl have been rather sceptic towards linux before here and were quite
> impressed by knoppix couple of days ago and demanded their copies of the
> CD-R:s :--). linux domination, yey.

Maybe there is a way of exchanging /boot/vmlinuz and the modules via
symlinks only on a remotely booted image, with openMosix-enhanced
kernels though a custom bootfloppy. Actually, just replacing the
PXE-booted kernel with a version with all necessary modules compiled in
would probably be sufficient.

> The fact that one can access NTFS volumes directly dybassing all ACL
> mechanisms didn't escape noticing when people tried it.

Well... There is not really much security when you have physical access
to a computer with unencrypted data. It may be a very good demonstration
about how weak security is on most systems. Even setting a BIOS password
does not help if you know the "backdoor passwords" or can just clear the
BIOS with a jumper.

There is an AES enhanced loopback module on the CD, so you could
demonstrate crypto-loop mounting with high key lengths as a more secure
method to protect your sensitive data.

> Maybe a small
> knoppix demonstration will be in order for security courses as well. BIOS
> passwords are necessary after all it seems.

Well, right conclusion, wrong solution. ;-)
What about if a computer with sensitive data gets stolen? The thief does
not have to care about a Bios or controller password if he just puts the
harddrive into a different computer, and BIOS password can be cleared
even with software (amisetup.exe for DOS/Windows and similar).

Encryption of data and backups is better for security than forcing
people to use workarounds for easy-to-break locks.

> An idea came into mind about the "serialization" of user files and config
> into floppy. Would be rather cool to have an automatic distributed block
> device daemon for knoppix systems in the same network. What could be
> achieved would be that on host shutdown, the user files would be copied to
> some other knoppix system (not written to hard disk), or two/three for
> safety. As long as data would survive on some host, it could be at later
> date retrieved (almost automatically) by the computer that would be powering
> up. Alas atm there is no simple distributed file system to achieve this.
> Migrating network block device maybe? With compression of course. Would need
> some support code of course, but could be done.

You can probably do this in a better way using NIS and NFS (without
compression though) for persistent home directories. Actually, someone
recently posted a knoppix.sh script that establishes a persistent home
directory on local or remote harddiskswith the user config files in it.
You may want to check out that one.

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org