Re: [debian-knoppix] radeon and languages

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:32:08PM +0200, Koltsoff Aleksandr wrote:
> seems that the kernel will start in vesafb mode (even if it detects the
> radeon ve correctly). This is not a problem really (radeonfb is broken, I'm
> working on it when I can). Rather, Xf86 seems slow, like it would be running
> without any accel.

But only on the framebuffer console, right? This is normal.

> Didn't have the chance to check it, but is it so that if
> kernel uses vesafb, xf86 will use it as well?

No. If your card is listed in /usr/share/hwdata/pcitable, the
corresponding X-Server and module from the Cards database should be
selected. You should see this on the console when the autoconfig script
says "Graphics card xyz detected, using XFree86(xxx) driver.".

xxx should be radeon for your card, I suppose. If it is fbdev instead,
then someone with your card may have reported that the XFree driver does
not work, and fbdev has been manually added. You can circumvent this by
saying

knoppix xmodule=radeon
or maybe also
knoppix xmodule=ati
on the boot prompt.

> instead of native radeon
> drivers (which are quite stable IMHO).

Yes, since XFree 4.2.1, some ATI card run with hardware and *GL
accelleration, so chromium runs at native speed (good program for
testing, btw. ;-)

> another question is that I noticed that keyboard layouts are indeed always
> the same as the language selection. Of course I can modify this when in KDE
> by adding new keymap there, but suppose I use console a lot (or even at
> boot). Currently finnish is not supported in knoppix, but yet, I have a
> keyboard with finnish (same in sweden) layout. I'd like to use english as
> language, but use finnish layout. Can this be done, or rather, could it be
> done?

I had to remove finnish language about half a year ago for space reason
(the KDE i18n files are HUGE, and nobody asked for finnish at that time,
so it seemed to be safe to be removed). However, finnish keyboard
layouts should be in the console-data package, so typing
loadkeys fi
in the console should work (if you find all the necessary keys for this
statement). The finnisch KDE keyboard should work as well. You can even
try booting with
knoppix lang=fi
to activate (if present) the finnish locales set.

> and lastly, I'm interested at attempting at least partly knoppix into
> finnish language, I might get couple of days off work to do that (we train
> people and seems that giving students out knoppix CDs would be just what
> they'd need).

You can do that, of course. If you like, I will add a link to your
finnish version to http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/ when you are ready.

> Where should I start translation from? sure, there's all the GNU software,
> each have their own files, but there are bound to be some po files (or
> similar) in knoppix as well?

This is a normal Debian system, so you can just install the
locales packages for fi and the kde-i18n-fi package for KDE.

> If only the kernel also contained openMosix out of a box ;-) (or as an
> option).

I got some requests for that, but I'm a little afraid about stability
and size of the kernel (kernel, a statically linked shell and some SCSI
modules have to fit on a single 1.44MB floppy disk in order to still be
able to boot old PCs from floppy). Apart from that, openMosix runs fine
from a floppy disk with all necessary support tools, daemons and config
files, so a Mosix-enabled Knoppix-CD would probably be a bit of
overkill, no?

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org