Re: [debian-knoppix] More control while shutting down KNOPPIX

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 11:51:16AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am frequently using knoppix to load new disk contents to remote
> systems. Somebody at the system's site puts the Knoppix CD in, boots,
> brings the box online and I can do the rest from remote.
>
> When rebooting, Knoppix ejects the CD and asks for <ENTER> on the
> system console. I would like to obtain more control about this process.
>
> /etc/init.d/knoppix-reboot looks like it has been written to support
> this. It looks like if I set the NOEJECT to a nonempty value, the CD
> is not ejected. But I didn't find code that asks for <ENTER> to be
> pressed before reboot. This is probably in the patched /sbin/init from
> the knoppix distribution.

Boot with the "noeject" option. This is documented in the
knoppix-cheatcodes.txt.

>   - If NOWAITENTER read in from /etc/default/knoppix-reboot, call init
>     on shutdown with the parameter preventing the wait.

If /cdrom or /KNOPPIX are not mounted, init will not ask for a key
to be pressed, just like in the installed version. Please have a look
into the source code. You can still exchange init with your own version
(which will probably be unable to eject the CD, on the other hand), or
don't call init at all and do an immediate reboot instead, by invoking
the appropriate system call.

> Klaus, may I ask if you would be willing to accept a patch to init and
> a patch to /etc/init.d/knoppix-reboot for a future version of knoppix?

Yes, if the patch makes sense and is compatible with standard init.

Regards
-Klaus
--
Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/