Re: [debian-knoppix] floppyconfig v. script and yet another install option

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 06:49:42PM +0200, Hans-Achim Unger wrote:
> is it possible in the next release to substitute the
> parameter floppyconf with a script that looks for knoppix.sh
> and executes it, like:
>
> mdir a:knoppix.sh && /bin/mount /dev/fd0 /mnt && /bin/bash
> /mnt/knoppix.sh

It is possible, but...

> I don't know weather it would make trouble on systems
> without floppy. Maybe knoppix.sh should be send in the
> background to prevent the system from hangup.

... it DOES give trouble, if you count 10
Minutes delay on a floppy-less Laptop.

> Another interesting for installation on an old 800MB HD:
>
> Put the _compressed_ CD on Harddisk and boot from floppy:
>
> Make a 720 MD partition with fdisk, say /dev/hda1, user the
> rest as swap or data disk and use a floppylinux for:
>
> dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hda1  # assuming /dev/hdc is CDROM
>
> You can not boot with syslinux or lilo AKAIK, but loadlin on
> a small dos partition should do I think, but I have not
> tested yet.

This should already work if you just copy the KNOPPIX directory to an
empty harddisk partition and boot from floppy, I think.

Regards
-Klaus
--
Klaus Knopper                  LinuxTag 2002 - Europes largest Linux Expo
Technical Solutions                                 Where .com meets .org