[debian-knoppix] floppyconfig v. script and yet another install option

Dear Klaus ,

is it possible in the next release to substitute the parameter floppyconf with a script that looks for knoppix.sh and executes it, like:

mdir a:knoppix.sh && /bin/mount /dev/fd0 /mnt && /bin/bash /mnt/knoppix.sh

I am using KNOPPIX for many things and I am booting from floppy with modified syslinux.cfg sometimes.

But booting from CD is faster and it leaves more space on the floppy for knoppix.sh. For standalone systems it would be very nice.

I don't know weather it would make trouble on systems without floppy. Maybe knoppix.sh should be send in the background to prevent the system from hangup.

---

Another interesting for installation on an old 800MB HD:

Put the _compressed_ CD on Harddisk and boot from floppy:

Make a 720 MD partition with fdisk, say /dev/hda1, user the rest as swap or data disk and use a floppylinux for:

dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hda1  # assuming /dev/hdc is CDROM

You can not boot with syslinux or lilo AKAIK, but loadlin on a small dos partition should do I think, but I have not tested yet.

Thank you for makeing and maintaining KNOPPIX! It is great!

Achim Unger