Re: [debian-knoppix] Video Card Problems

Hello Mr. Unger,

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 07:31:49AM +0200, Hans-Achim Unger wrote:
> Tom Edwards wrote:
> >Klaus, the CD that you handed me at CeBIT (when I put it into the CD
> >drive with Windows running) displays an english-language web page with a
> >link to the english hints.  We've been then starting it with lang=us
> >option (and a few others to get around the 3D video card problems).
> >
> A workaround would be booting with floppy and CD. On the
> floppy change the file a:syslinux.cfg (just first lines
> shown here):
>
> DEFAULT vmlinuz
> APPEND lang=us ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init noapic
> apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz floppyconfig
> screen=1280x1024 depth=24 desktop=xfce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
> TIMEOUT 300

You are right, that is the easiest way, and syslinux.cfg can even be
edited from other operating systems with a standard text editor.

> As you can see this boots xfce with 1280x1024 and other
> options, you can even put a knoppix.sh on the floppy and it
> is used because of floppyconfig! If you don't want that
> leave the old values!

If you get problems with the monitor refresh rate, you can also add a
vsync= option. With vga=794 your textmode will also be 1280x1024 in 16-bit,
if your graphics card supports ist.

> >I'll stay in touch.  Excellent product.  Keep up the good work.
> Yes, it is  absolutly great, it boots on (almost) ever PC I
> have tried! Thanks for your work Mr. Knoppix ;-)

Thank you for testing! An english translation of the webpage will be
available soon, and I would also like to metion that the current
CD version 03-05-2002-EN has the just released  openoffice Version 1.0 in
german and (mostly) english on it. Plus a free LinuxTag 2002 ticket, if
you can make it to Karlsruhe in June.

Klaus Knopper                  LinuxTag 2002 - Europes largest Linux Expo
Technical Solutions                                 Where .com meets .org
knopper@linuxtag.de                               http://www.linuxtag.de/
Phone +49-(0)180-5-546898                         Fax +49-(0)180-5-546893