RE: Basic question on debian kernel versions

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 08:33 -0700, Sarveshwar.Bandi@Emulex.Com wrote:
> Well. I have tried everything possible to avoid updates. But no matter
> which CD I install from I always land up in same version of kernel
> (6.0.4).

'6.0.4' is the distribution version, but presumably you also get the
latest kernel package version from stable-security.

> The alternate way is for me to get linux-kernel source package for the
> version I need to use and re-compile the kernel and build the driver
> against it.

You can download and install old versions of packages from
<http://snapshot.debian.org>.

> But what is the best way to know the which is kernel source package
> for given version of debian?

Package updates in point releases are listed in a changelog for the
release, e.g. <http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/ChangeLog>.

You can work out the original package version for a release by looking
down the changelog for the current package in stable to the newest entry
for which the distribution is 'unstable' or 'testing'.  The result is
version 2.6.32-30.

All this said, I don't encourage you to make extra effort to support
older point releases.  Debian users are expected to install updates from
each point release and from the security archive, and as you've seen
those are normally installed automatically even if you start an
installation from disc.

Also, I would really appreciate it if you could help us to provide
updated drivers for Emulex hardware in stable updates, so that Debian
users don't need to download and install them separately.  These would
have to be based on changes that are already in mainline Linux.

This sentence contradicts itself - no actually it doesn't.