Re: Basic question on debian kernel versions

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 11:56:00PM -0700, Sarveshwar.Bandi@Emulex.Com wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have tried installing different version of debain kernels from CDs
> in the archive. For ex: I tried Debian 6.0.0, 6.0.3, 6.0.4. After
> installation all installations show /etc/debian_version as 6.0.4 and
> the same output for uname -r (2.6.32-5-686). How does one
> differentiate which version of debian kernel is installed?
>
> If all the version of debian installation have same value for uname
> -a, then will driver compiled for 6.0.0, load on 6.0.3 as is?
>
> I am sure I am missing something basic here.
No you don't. All updates to the kernel are checked for binary
incompatibilities. If it's possible to maintain compatibility it's done.
Otherwise the abi version (the 5 in 2.6.32-5-686) is bumped and then you
need to recompile your external modules.

Best regards
Uwe