RE: Basic question on debian kernel versions

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 07:13 -0700, Sarveshwar.Bandi@Emulex.Com wrote:
> I installed  linux headers in both my installations (one of which I
> installed using 6.0.0 cd and other using 6.0.4 cd)  using apt-get
> install and  dpkg --list shows  same output on both the systems:
> root@debian:~# dpkg --list |grep headers
> ii  linux-headers-2.6.32-5-686           2.6.32-41squeeze2                 Header files for Linux 2.6.32-5-686
> ii  linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common        2.6.32-41squeeze2                 Common header files for Linux 2.6.32-5

This is because the installer automatically installs updates by default.

> When I build driver against the two versions  the modinfo output is
> identical.

Yes, because you used exactly the same package versions.  If you really
want to test Debian 6.0.0, you have to tell the installer not to install
updates.

> So I am back to the question:
> How do I know which driver was built for which version of debian?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is an obvious way to distinguish
modules built against different versions of the same
linux-headers-<kversion> package.

> And even more basic question, how do I know which version of kernel I
> am running now?

cat /proc/version

This sentence contradicts itself - no actually it doesn't.