Re: [libimobiledevice-devel] ipheth

On 27 April 2010 10:47, Martin S. <info@sukimashita.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 00:38 +0200, L. Alberto Giménez wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 11:55:53AM +0100, Paul McEnery wrote:
>> > In order for the udev rule to execute *any* application which performs
>> > the pairing, that application must exist in some package. That package
>> > will need to be a dependency of usbmuxd (unless usbmuxd provides it).
>> > It cannot simply be assumed that if usbmuxd is installed that gvfs,
>> > libgpod, etc will also be installed, let alone executed before the
>> > user attempts to connect using ipheth. The only way that these
>> > assumptions can be met, is with the appropriate dependencies.
>> >
>> > The way that this must be tested is as follows:
>> >
>> > - Debian base install (bare minimum system).
>> > - install <something>
>> > - configure interface to test
>> >
>> > The <something> above needs to ensure that when an iPhone/device is
>> > plugged it, it will pair automatically.
>>
>> Hi, If I'm allowed to put my $2c, I propose to put the pairing utility on the
>> libimobiledevice package, and make usbmuxd depend on it (which IMO is quite
>> natural).
>>
>> Does it make sense at all?
>
> It would be a circular dependency and is not right. libimobiledevice
> depends on usbmuxd. Also mind checking this overview:
> http://libimobiledevice.org/am-stack-fig-4.png
>
> ipheth does not depend on usbmuxd nor does it need it to work as it
> talks to a different USB interface.

I dont think this is strictly true. Usbmuxd must be up and running or
the internet connection does not work. I recall seeing TX timeout
messages in syslog if usbmuxd failed to start/was not running while
trying to communicate over the ipheth interface.

I'll try and sum up what I think is needed:

1. libimobiledevice supplies some sort of pairing utility, or set of
utils which can pair, unpair, and list.

2. This <idevicepair> util gets packaged in Debian in the existing
libimobiledevice-utils package.

3. The existing ipheth-utils package should be renamed to ipheth-support which:
   a. supplies a udev rule;
   b. depends on libimobiledevice-utils.

Does this sound sensible?

I may need some help with the udev rule... The existing ipheth udev
rule could do with some work. I have not had time to test it yet, but
I had been planning to replace it with this:

=8<==
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", ENV{ID_USB_DRIVER}=="ipheth",
ATTR{idVendor}=="05ac", RUN+="ipheth-pair"
=8<==

Regards,
Paul.