Re: [libimobiledevice-devel] ipheth

On 24 April 2010 11:01, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Was was the final decision of merging the small util into one of the
>>> other packages and the udev rules into usbmuxd?
>>>

>> This was discussed a few weeks ago, but I don't recall anyone being in
>> overwhelming support of the idea. I'm not sure that usbmuxd should
>> have *libimobiledevice-utils* as a dependency for something may not be
>> used by everyone. If there is some value in this, then I think its
>> worth reopening the discussion.
>
> No, you've mis interpreted what was said. The udev rule would be in
> usbmuxd with the other ipod/iphone rules for various bits and then the
> actual pairing utill would be in libimobiledevice. There would be no
> extra dependencies.

In order for the udev rule to execute *any* application which performs
the pairing, that application must exist in some package. That package
will need to be a dependency of usbmuxd (unless usbmuxd provides it).
It cannot simply be assumed that if usbmuxd is installed that gvfs,
libgpod, etc will also be installed, let alone executed before the
user attempts to connect using ipheth. The only way that these
assumptions can be met, is with the appropriate dependencies.

The way that this must be tested is as follows:

- Debian base install (bare minimum system).
- install <something>
- configure interface to test

The <something> above needs to ensure that when an iPhone/device is
plugged it, it will pair automatically.

I agree that a maintaining such a small package may be pointless, but
we need some agreement on *exactly* how this is going to work....

Regards,
Paul.