Re: Etch timeline is unrealistic because non-free firmware is NOT being dealt with

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 03:51:31PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> >
> >   1) it is lot of work, and we (the kernel team) don't realy have the ressources
> >   for it.
>
> Then stop doing 0 day uploads and fix the kernel. No matter how long
> it takes. It is a release blocker, etch will wait for you.

Your patches are welcome.

> If you need more help then ask for it (again). Debian-devel-anounce
> would probably be a good idea.

Please go ahead and find people willing to work on this, you hardly need our
help for this.

> >   2) there is currently no exhaustive list of affected drivers, there may even
> >   be some case of things like main processor micro-code affected.
>
> Fix what you know and keep the rest in blissfull ignorance.

As said, your patches would be wlecome.

> >   3) it demands works of part of debian outside the kernel team, particularly
> >   the d-i and eventually archive folk. The d-i have not been cooperative to
> >   this idea, and even mentioning it to them has resulted in a barrage of
> >   agresive bashing. But then maybe it was just because they don't like me and
> >   i dared to mention this all those months back. In any case, they have not
> >   fixed their side of it, and there appears to be no plan to do so, i was
> >   kicked out of the d-i project, and Frans threatened me if i even dared work
> >   on kernel/d-i based issues.
>
> Sorry, that is just no reason to break the social contract and
> dfsg. Yes you have to break D-I but they can fix it. They have been

Err, given the way i was bashed the last time this happened, no, sorry, i will
not even dare try somethign such in the near future.

> told about it and are aware of it. Once it becomes virtualy required
> they will fix it for sure. So far it isn't. As I said before, don't
> wait for them to work ahead but force the issue on them. The gravity
> of it requires it.

Maybe, but the same could be said of you, you care for this, help us fix it,
and then there will be no other choice than follow your lead. As always,
patches welcome.

> >> installation? Sure, it'll screw the users that won't have Internet access
> >> during the installation, but as long as it's possible to make custom
> >> installation discs that'll probably take care of itself.
> >
> > You can do a CD media which includes the non-free modules, you would have to
> > build a non-free d-i image set anyway.
>
> Which would be a task for the debian-cd team. Has anyone talk to them
> about it?

Currently there is no infrastructure to build non-free d-i images. doing
non-free cds would be rather easy, and it is something i can do myself, as i
still have svn access to the debian-cd project.