Re: Etch timeline is unrealistic because non-free firmware is NOT being dealt with

On 08/08/06 04:49:33PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > Well, it reads to me that we won't screw our users without second
> > thought like some here are proposing.
>
> In my opinion, we have been screwing our users for years by lying to
> them about whether their software was free.  We would even say things
> like "hardware such-and-such is supportable with free software" and
> then ship them a non-free driver.

I'm sure this has been suggested/covered before, but what's wrong with just
sticking those drivers in non-free and giving the user a choice during
installation? Sure, it'll screw the users that won't have Internet access
during the installation, but as long as it's possible to make custom
installation discs that'll probably take care of itself.

Jim.