Possibility to maintain in tree modules [was Re: Modules packaging policy - call for discussion]

Hello,

I'm looking into Ubuntu kernel nowadays 'cause a project and found
that their idea of maintain the modules directly inside of kernel
might be a easier to deal solution in mid and long term.

IMHO, keeping our kernel modules outside of kernel itself will work
until the module is prove useful but once it's done might be easier to
all of us to have it sync when we do security updates.

As far I can see, I see the following benefits:

 - easier to deply security updates for kernel itself (with or without
   abi changes);

The drawbacks that I can see:

 - when we need to update a module ('cause a security flaw or a
   serious bug) we'll need to recompile the whole kernel;

Ok. The worse case is really bad since we'll load our buildds while
doing a simple module fix. But hey! this already happen when we need
to do that inside of kernel itself and it won't change.

What you all think about it?

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116