Re: Modules packaging policy - call for discussion

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Sven Luther wrote:

[..]
 2) do not build module .udebs from out-of-tree packages, and let it be the
 responsability of the d-i team to extract choice modules from those
 out-of-tree modules .debs to be repackaged as .debs. I don't know if the d-i
 team is ready to go that way, or thought of it.

Initially I was thinking that it's a good idea to have a super-package, which will build all the binary modules from different module-source packages for a given kernel. It was pointed out to me, that it will cause certain problems, like there is going to be an extra headache of keeping source and binaries in the archive in sync, and the interaction of this package with binary modules which users might want to build themselves from modules-source is going to be pretty cumbersome. During a brief discussion on IRC Joey said that it would be acceptable for d-i team if the binary modules would be built separately from the module-source packages, as long as it is guaranteed that there will be an up-to-date version for every kernel available in the archive. So everything is going towards a system, in which binary modules are built from the module-source packages by their respective maintainers/buildds, and we just need to work out a system which will ensure that the binary modules will be uploaded in a timely manner following a release. Bastian, as I understand, that's not quite what you are proposing, it would be great if you could comment.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org