Re: making udev require 2.6.15 kernels

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 07:54:01PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 03:45:28AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Then what does this have to do with the problem people are trying to solve?
> > The problem is that there is *no* kernel available in sarge that meets the
> > needs of the etch udev and lvm packages, and as a result people have to
> > install a new kernel, reboot, and then continue with the upgrade

> No, they need to reboot after installing udev/lvm, not before.

Then you've once again left the user without any assurance that their system
is bootable at the end of the udev/lvm install.  We *must* avoid leaving the
user in a state where rebooting the system could leave /usr and /var
unmountable, the network inaccesible, and so on.

> > > Hu? The kernel image have to be configured already.
> > *What* kernel image?

> Which should be used.

I don't see anywhere you've specified a mechanism for determining what
kernel image this is, or ensuring that it is configured first.