Re: powerpc d-i daily builds reactivated, use 2.6.12 kernels, including 64bit kernels, miboot floppies dropped for now.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 02:18:07AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Aug 22 2005, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:23:39AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > > So, I do think that it would be possible to get it smaller. Want to
> > > see my .config? I just posted it to linux-kernel in a reply to
> > > Andrew Morton.
> >
> > Remember the debian kernel is generic for all powerpc plateforms, from
> > old world to prep boxes, to powerbooks to the last 32bit IBM chrps and
> > the genesi pegasos machine, so there is a bit more constraints here,
> > but it is assuredly doable.
>
> I thought that the kernel in the miboot floppies were specific just to
> OldWorld machines. And you already have many flavours of it being built.

Nope, it was specific in 2.4 (since we where not doing a modular kernel back
then), but the 2.6 miboot kernel was just the plain -powerpc flavour.

> I understand that the kernels have to be generic, but, say, including
> one specific feature of a pegasos machine in a miboot floppy isn't
> something that I would expect (even if it can be offloaded to a
> ramdisk).

Which specific feature ? We moved (almost) everything to modules. The problem
is with things like the pmac_ide whose code cannot be modularized. There is a
lot of pmac drivers which probably don't make sense on oldworld, and whose
cannot be modularized. The only thing from the pegasos and other chrp that is
builtin is the serial driver, in order to get the serial console, but that is
it.