Re: Kernel compiling....

On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:11:27 +0200, maximilian attems <debian@sternwelten.at> said:

> On Fri, 06 May 2005, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Fri, 6 May 2005 09:15:29 +1000, Horms <horms@debian.org> said:
>>
>> Well, on IRC I was informed that kernel-package sucked, that the
>> kernel team spent lots of times working around bugs and missing
>> functionality in kernel-package.  If this is the case, I consider
>> it a pity.

> the strings out of kernel-package are sometimes quite offensive.

	Ah. Drive by criticism.

> also the ouput isn't up to the nice Kbuild of the 2.6, which will be
> the common case (afair you also support older non maintained trees).

	The output from kernel-package is mostly the output from the
 underlying kernel build system, so I am  intrigued by this comment.

snipp>
>> For starters, it would be nice if the configs used in official
>> kernels were available in the configs directory of
>> kernel-package,so that user of stand alone kernels could use those
>> as a guide.

> that doesn't make that match sense because of the modular debian
> patchw.  make defconfig comes to mind.

	Parse error. A use gets kernels from kernel.org, does not have
 a .config, and kernel-package provides one. Would it not make sense
 for the config provided to be as close to the config the official
 packages use? make defconfig does not, as far as I know, give you the
 config that debian uses -- it just produces a .config from the
 default values of config elements, which is nowhere close to the same
 thing.

	manoj
--
All most people want is a little more than they'll ever get.
Manoj Srivastava     <srivasta@acm.org>    <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>