Re: Kernel compiling....

On Fri, 6 May 2005 09:15:29 +1000, Horms  <horms@debian.org> said:

> Could you please elaborate? I personally think it is pretty damn
> hard for kernel-package to cope with all situations, and that in
> many ways the kernel packates updloaded to d.o are not the general
> case, so yes we make some use of the hooks provided to do some fun
> things.  Thats about the only type of kernel package I build, so its
> a bit hard to step back and say, hey this might be useful for other
> things too.

        Well, on IRC I was informed that kernel-package sucked, that
 the kernel team spent lots of times working around bugs and missing
 functionality in kernel-package.  If this is the case, I consider it
 a pity.

> I am sure the kernel-package maintainer would be happy to hear of
> any features you would like included in that code, I have CCed him
> on this mail.

	Absolutely.  I have always tried to accommodate kernel image
 maintainers -- when they asked for features. This has been a long
 tradition, starting with the ./debian/official exceptions that
 Herbert Xu asked for, years and years ago.

        I would prefer to keep kernel-package arch and version
 agnostic, as fas as possible, but  I'm willing to put in as many
 hooks as are needed, and provide sample implementations for things
 that hook into those hooks.

        For starters, it would be nice if the configs used in official
 kernels were available in the configs directory of kernel-package,so
 that user of stand alone kernels could use those as a guide.

        manoj
--
Training is everything.  The peach was once a bitter almond;
cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education. -- Mark