Re: Kernel compiling....

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 02:05:18PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 02:01:02PM +0200, Marco Calviani wrote:
> >   sorry for the maybe stupid and repetitive question, is it possible to
> > use the nice features of make-kpkg also with a vanilla kernel coming
> > from kernel.org or is it required to use the kernel-source from debian
> > repositories?
>
> make-kpkg works with vanilla kernels as well.
>
> Currently, it looks like the Debian kernel development has kind of
> lost communication to the kernel-package maintainer since the kernel
> sources keep popping up with features that would look more canonical
> inside kernel-package's code to allow them to be used with vanilla
> kernels as well.

Could you please elaborate? I personally think it is pretty damn
hard for kernel-package to cope with all situations, and that in
many ways the kernel packates updloaded to d.o are not the general case,
so yes we make some use of the hooks provided to do some fun things.
Thats about the only type of kernel package I build, so its a bit
hard to step back and say, hey this might be useful for other things
too.

I am sure the kernel-package maintainer would be happy to
hear of any features you would like included in that code,
I have CCed him on this mail.

--
Horms