Re: Kernel compiling....

On Sat, 07 May 2005, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:11:27 +0200, maximilian attems <debian@sternwelten.at> said:
<snipp>
> > the strings out of kernel-package are sometimes quite offensive.
>
> 	Ah. Drive by criticism.

no picking up the subject for discussions.

"# work around idiocy in recent kernel versions"
i find that output quite wierd. localversion was
meant for distributions and is much easier to use
than to change EXTRAVERSION in the Makefile.

> > also the ouput isn't up to the nice Kbuild of the 2.6, which will be
> > the common case (afair you also support older non maintained trees).
>
> 	The output from kernel-package is mostly the output from the
>  underlying kernel build system, so I am  intrigued by this comment.

well most of the time yes, but not always. for example call

~/src/linux-2.6.11-rc4$ make config
  CLEAN   scripts/basic
  CLEAN   scripts/kconfig
..

~/src/linux-2.6.11-rc4$ fakroot make-kpkg clean
/usr/bin/make -f /usr/share/kernel-package/rules real_stamp_clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/max/src/linux-2.6.11-rc4'
test ! -f .config || cp -pf .config config.precious
test -f Makefile && \
/usr/bin/make    ARCH=i386 distclean
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/max/src/linux-2.6.11-rc4'
..

but i agree that this is an implementation detail.

> snipp>
> >> For starters, it would be nice if the configs used in official
> >> kernels were available in the configs directory of
> >> kernel-package,so that user of stand alone kernels could use those
> >> as a guide.
>
> > that doesn't make that match sense because of the modular debian
> > patchw.  make defconfig comes to mind.
>
> 	Parse error. A use gets kernels from kernel.org, does not have
>  a .config, and kernel-package provides one. Would it not make sense
>  for the config provided to be as close to the config the official
>  packages use? make defconfig does not, as far as I know, give you the
>  config that debian uses -- it just produces a .config from the
>  default values of config elements, which is nowhere close to the same
>  thing.

yup you are right, responded to quickly, make defconfig doesn't make
sense in that case.
but that would make sense for volatile as an config for 2.6.8 is not
complete for A, who is taking 2.6.11.8 from kernel.org and it will
get worser.
the main difference for using a config out of the svn are the modular
ide and fb patches by xu, which aren't mainline.

have a nice weekend + regards

--
maks