Re: kernel-patch-debian-2.6.8 and pristine linux 2.6.8 kernel

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 03:05:10PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 08:05:22AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >   I hope that this arrangements is acceptable by everyone while still
> > > helping at least users who are mostly interested in the code that Debian
> > > does distributes. Hopefully these are most of the users.
> >
> > What is the real problem ? you don't want to use the debian kernel, but the
> > upstream one, it is up to you. you get the individual debian patches, and
> > apply all of them to your kernel-source, except the ones that touch the
> > firmwared stuff or whatever.
> >
> > Christoph, i don't remember if the debian-patch package does include also the
> > standalone patches, or only the global debian version ones. Maybe the easiest
> > thing would be some tag in the DP: lines of the dpatches that mark a patch as
> > touching not-upstream-clean stuff, and have a script or something to apply,
> > with an option to include or not those.
>
> kernel-patch-debian is monolithic patches only.  I still don't
> understand it's purpose anyway - the .diff.gz for kernel-source is much
> more usefull.

Would be cool to have kernel-patch-debian include both the monolithic patch,
and the separate ones.

That said, another solution would be to move the logic to create the
monolithic patches to the debian-patch apply/unapply scripts, and have it only
one time.

I don't really feel like doing so though.